Dog & Cat Spay & Neuter in San Antonio, TX
Every loving pet owner wants to help their four-legged friends live long, healthy lives while helping other pets find loving homes. By spaying and neutering your pets, you do both. Affordable Pet Care Northwest in San Antonio recommends that all dogs and cats undergo a spay or neuter surgery, due to the many benefits that these surgeries provide. Whether you’re a first-time puppy/kitten owner or you just want to learn more about spaying (ovariohysterectomy) and neutering (castration), consider the following list of frequently asked questions.
Why Is Pet Spaying & Neutering So Important?
- It improves your pet’s overall health and lengthens their lifespan. In fact, studies prove that spayed and neutered pets live longer than those that are not.
- Spaying and neutering reduces pet overpopulation, which increases the likelihood for the adoption of pets already in shelters. It also means fewer pets face untimely euthanasia.
- Spaying eliminates the heat (menstrual) cycle as well as all associated behaviors (crying, roaming, etc.).
- Spaying reduces the risk of uterine infections and mammary tumors.
- Neutering reduces the risk of testicular cancer and prostate problems.
- Neutering reduces aggressive behavior, urine-marking, roaming, mounting, and other unwanted behaviors.
Can Dogs & Cats Gain Weight After a Spay or Neuter?
Yes. Some pets do gain weight after surgery as a result of a decreased metabolism, but not all of them do. Keep in mind though, weight gain is, in large part, under your control. You can control your pet’s weight with a healthy diet and sufficient exercise. Try to walk your dog once a day for at least 15 minutes per walk and create vertical climbing space for your cat to keep them active. Using interactive toys, such as a laser pointer, is also a great way to keep your pet active and at a healthy weight.
When Should I Schedule My Pet’s Spay or Neuter?
The age at which a dog or cat should undergo a spay or neuter surgery varies for each breed. During your pet’s next visit to our animal hospital, we’ll discuss with you at what age we recommend the surgery. For some pets, we perform the surgery as young as 8 weeks of age, as long as the pet is healthy. Give us a call at (210) 684-2273 to schedule your pet’s appointment or to learn more about spaying and neutering.