It’s the most wonderful time of the year…time for family, planning, and having fun! But with all the hustle and bustle of the season, it can be easy to overlook one of the most important parts of every season: your pet. Your loyal companion will probably want to join the holiday fun, but before you let them, be mindful of the potential food, decoration, and other hazards. Affordable Pet Care NW in San Antonio wants to make sure your four-legged friends are safe, so we have created the following holiday pet safety tips. Happy Holidays!
The Do’s and Don’ts of Table Food
Tempted to share some of your Christmas dinner with your pet? Make sure you know which foods are safe and which ones aren’t first. There are many foods that can actually be toxic to pets. Some can even be life-threatening. Below is a list of some of the safe table foods and toxic table foods for pets:
Safe Table Food for Pets:
- Green beans
- Apples (chopped in small pieces)
- Carrots (chopped in small pieces)
- Cooked chicken or turkey (white meat only, without bones or skin)
Toxic Foods for Pets
- Raisins and grapes
- Macadamia nuts
- Xylitol (sugar substitute)
Christmas Decoration Safety
Although they’re beautiful and festive, unfortunately, many of those decorations can be dangerous for your pet. Use caution with the decorations you choose as well as where you place them in your home, especially if you have a curious dog or cat. Pet-proof all of the decorated areas of your home can help you avoid an emergency trip to the vet.
Real Christmas Trees
If you opted for a real Christmas tree instead, keep in mind that those pine needles are mildly toxic to pets if ingested and can also puncture the intestines. Always keep the floor area under your tree cleaned and completely free of pine needles by sweeping or vacuuming a few times a day. The tree water can also be toxic, so cover the tin with a tree skirt or aluminum foil to prevent your pet from drinking it.
Tinsel and Garland
With their sparkling, shimmering nature, these decorations can easily draw the attention of a pet—especially cats. If you chose these items for your tree or anywhere else in your home, make sure to keep them high and out of your pet’s reach, or simply avoid buying them altogether. Ingesting tinsel and other stringy items can result in intestinal blockage for your pet, which usually can only be treated with surgery.
Christmas lights are yet another decoration that can attract your pet. Cats have been known to paw at dangling lights and pull them off of Christmas trees so they can chew on them. This can result in tangle, burn, and shock hazards to your four-legged friend. It’s best to keep the Christmas lights where you pet can’t access them, or consider a pet-friendly alternative like fiber-optic lights.
If you have any questions about these cat and dog holiday safety tips from Affordable Pet Care NW, give us a call at (210) 684-2273.